Join our Frontline Team!
- Great work stories!
- Dynamic and ever changing work environment
- Opportunity to make a difference in peoples lives
We are seeking candidates who:
- Are passionate about helping others
- Who want to work in a front facing role with offenders
- Are good role models within their community
- Understand and demonstrate Ara Poutama - Aotearoa values - Whanau, Kaitiaki, Rangatira, Manaaki and Wairua
- Can work confidently in a varied and challenging environment
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, integrity and safety awareness
About the role.
The role of a Corrections Officer is about influencing offenders to make the right choices, take the right action at the right time and support their pathway towards an offence-free lifestyle. Our Corrections Officers, both men and women, come from all walks of life and bring a wide range of attributes and life experiences with them. In this job your contribution counts, you can have a positive effect on the lives of others and public safety. It's more challenging, more interesting and more rewarding than you can imagine.
For more information see attached job description and explore our careers page https://careers.corrections.govt.nz/home/corrections-officer/
To be eligible you need:
- The right to work in New Zealand or a work visa with at least 12 months remaining
- This role requires you to do shift work across a 24/7 roster
- A full New Zealand Driver Licence (or eligible on an International Licence)
- To declare any conﬂicts of interest and previous convictions. Exempt from Clean Slate and all conviction history is released
- The ability to pass a drug test
- Be medically ﬁt for employment and complete a medical assessment and physical ability test.
In line with our Strategy Hōkai Rangi , we are prioritising applications from people who have experience in a Kaupapa Māori or Pasifika environment and/or a willingness to learn. Please highlight any relevant experience and/or language skills in your application.
We are looking for a diverse range of candidates, from different cultures with varied backgrounds and experience. Our standards are high so should you apply to join us you will undergo a comprehensive selection process that will assess you against our core requirements. You'll then complete a residential eleven week initial training course. In return you'll get opportunities for professional development, promotion and the ability to gain a qualification in offender management. All candidates are required to complete a full disclosure criminal history check and pre-employment medical, physical and drug testing.
Note: The Criminal History Check is Exempt from The Clean Slate Act. In other words, the Clean Slate Act does not apply to this position. Please declare any offences (even outside 7 years) in your application.
Starting salary of $59,519. Once in the role we have 4 competency levels where you are able to increase your salary with the highest being $69,363.
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://arapoutama.nz/hokairangi).
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.