Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Job Title: Incursion Investigator
Role type: Fixed Term (until January 2025)
Location: Auckland Landcare Research (PHEL)
Salary range: $82,817 - $96,726 depending on skills and experience
Kōrero mō te Tūranga - About the Role
Our Incursion Investigation team is looking for a science graduate with a post-graduate qualification in either pest or disease management, ecology, entomology, epidemiology or biosecurity to join as an Incursion Investigator
The Incursion Investigation function is positioned in the Biosecurity Surveillance and Incursion Investigation Group. Surveillance is an integral component of New Zealand's multi-layered biosecurity system and it includes incursion investigation. Investigators are the first line of defence against unwanted pests and diseases that breach the border. Incursion investigators respond quickly to these breaches, gather information to validate the report and manage the immediate risk. Incursion investigations underpin decisions on any further action to be taken and the transition to a biosecurity response if required. This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain experience in the management of biological risk.
In this role, you'll:
- Receive and manage reports of suspect pests and diseases, ensure identification, and undertake risk assessments and prioritisation in accordance with procedures
- Plan and conduct investigations including risk assessment, options analysis, field activities and urgent measures to contain and control in accordance with procedures
- Conduct investigation reporting, ensuring that information is accurate and timely
- Where further action by MPI is required, prepare response operational specifications as required. These may include Surveillance, Movement Control and Organism Management, and will be prepared in accordance with response procedures and agreed timeframes,
- Support your team manager: provide accurate information, take initiative and be reliable.
Mōu - About You
Our ideal candidate would have:
- An understanding of incursion investigations and be able to recognise biological risk
- Experience in pest, weed or disease management, and biology or ecology in cultivated crops, forests or the environment
- Familiarity with horticultural, agricultural, arable or forestry production systems would be advantageous
- Demonstrated project management skills, and the ability to plan, implement specific operations and give clear instructions
- Demonstrated ability to write, review and edit internal reports and articles for publication
You will be a team player with excellent communication skills, motivation, initiative, and sound judgment with an ability to think outside the square. You will require the ability to work under time pressure and make informed decisions based on your investigation intelligence. Investigations can be anywhere in New Zealand and you may be required to travel at short notice. You will be rostered to do on call after hours duty as our biosecurity hotline (0800 80 99 66) is managed 8.30 am to 9.00 pm daily.
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) partners with New Zealand's food and fibre sector to be the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
Ngā hua o te mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua - Benefits of working at MPI
- Ability to purchase extra annual leave
- Annual Wellness payment
- Bi-annual paid eye test and contribution to the costs of corrective lenses/frames
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
We support flexible working arrangements and are happy to discuss these options with you.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whānau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua Ministry for Primary Industries a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 3rd December 2023.
If you have any questions about the role, please email Luke.Farrell@mpi.govt.nz
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Links to Facebook, MPI Careers, LinkedIn, Twitter