- Generous salary ranging from $164,000-$210,000.
- Senior and highly influential role.
- Role deeply grounded in te ao Māori.
Ko wai mātou | About Us
Piki mai kake mai rā ki te toi o Tāwhirimatea, o Taihoro Nukurangi e. Toro atu ki te rangi e tū ake nei, rere kau iho ki ngā kōngutuawa, puta atu ki te moana o Tangaroa-whakamau-tai. Mai i te moana, ki te rangi ko Taihoro Nukurangi e, Ko Taihoro Nukurangi e.
NIWA is a dynamic research organisation and New Zealand’s largest and pre-eminent provider of climate, freshwater and marine science. Our core purpose is to enhance the economic value and sustainable management of New Zealand’s aquatic resources and environments, to provide an understanding of climate and the atmosphere, and increase resilience to weather and climate hazards to improve the safety and wellbeing of New Zealanders.
Our Te Kūwaha team is a key resource within NIWA, providing expertise in environmental research with a strong Māori focus. The vision of Te Kūwaha is to position NIWA as a leading and trusted science provider of innovative water and atmospheric research solutions in collaborative partnerships that benefit hapū, iwi, Māori communities and Māori business.
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi| About the Role
The Pou Whakarae – Hiringa Taiao provides strategic science leadership and direction for NIWA’s National Centre for Māori Environmental Research, and ensures that opportunities for research, consultancy services and commercial development of products are maximised in line with strategy. You will be responsible for driving high standards of quality, excellence and innovation in NIWA’s science, for science leadership (including proposals and programmes) in the Māori environmental research area, and for ensuring that NIWA develops and maintains the capacity, capability and culture required to deliver on its Māori strategy.
A critical element of this role is the development and managing of strategic relationships with our hapū/iwi partners, collaborators and key stakeholders (i.e. central/local government).
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
- PhD or equivalent
- Credibility in your area of specialist expertise, ideally which spans across the domains of freshwater, marine, climate and Māori environmental knowledge/Mātauranga Māori
- A successful track record as a Senior Scientist, including managing large-scale research programmes and leading large science teams.
- Demonstrated experience in research and consultancy contract management and client relationship management
- Extensive experience of co-developing and co-delivering research in partnership with hapū/iwi and Māori communities
- A broad understanding of Te Ao Māori
MŌ TE TONO, MŌ TE TIROTIRO TĀTAI TŪRANGA / APPLY OR VIEW THE POSITION DESCRIPTION: www.jacksonstone.co.nz
TAUPĀNGA /REFERENCE: BH-10598
ME HE PĀTAI ANŌ / FURTHER ENQUIRIES: Rachelle Russell or Anastasia Gyson 04 550 8000