Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Veterinarian (VTS1) based at Fresh Meats NZ Ltd
Role Type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Napier, Hawkes Bay Region
Salary: Range from $100,176 progressing to $125,221 per annum plus additional benefits.
Starting salary will be dependent on skills and experience of the successful applicant.
In addition to salary, we offer overtime, penal time and shift allowances.
Kōreromō te tūranga - About the Role
MPI Verification Services (MPI VS) provides a range of food safety and biosecurity verification and certification services to support market access strategies and setting standards.
If you are you are a veterinary verifier looking for your next career move or an experienced clinical veterinarian looking for something new, we have an upcoming opportunity for a sole charge Veterinarian (VTS1) based at Fresh Meats NZ in Napier.
Fresh Meats NZ a single meat plant processing lamb year-round, Monday to Friday with occasional Saturday hours during peak season. This is a sole charge position with some flexibility on hours due to processing times at the plant. Shift patterns include 10 hours shifts on Monday and Wednesday (starting at 5.45am), while there is some flexibility on hours for remainder of days which allows for variety in the role. Any overtime is compensated and early starts, or late finishes are recognised with penal time payments, as well as shift leave accumulation.
Within this role you will be expected to:
- Ensure that official assurances issued for export products are valid and withstand third party reviews through audit and verification of the operators and their processes.
- Ensure that operators put into place timely and effective corrective and preventative actions.
- Responsibly manage the workload for the VS team, including;
- Recognising workloads and ensure that tasks are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure efficient use of resources and hours.
- Work successfully with & support the regional MPI team, as well as the wider MPI team such as the technical team and other external stakeholders such as farmers.
- Work with operator personnel of different levels from plant manager to frontline staff and will be able to tailor your communication with them effectively.
- Attend and facilitate internal, external and market access reviews. Demonstrate the process to these reviewers and facilitate, in conjunction with the operator and MPI, resolution of any review findings.
Mō te peka - About the Branch
Hawke's Bay is a region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island and is best known for its beaches and wineries. Locals and visitors alike love getting outdoors in Hawke's Bay. Whether it be a walk-up Te Mata Peak, an adrenaline-filled rafting trip down the Mohaka River, or perhaps a lazy day at Waimarama Beach, the diversity of our outdoor experiences means there's something for everyone to enjoy.
This role will report to the Team Manager Establishment Hawkes Bay and will work closely with industry professionals as well as other departments within MPI to support the delivery of national and regional verification.
Watch some of our team describe why they love the role that they are in and their journey into a career with Verification Services – Click Here
Ngā Pūkenga me ngā Wheako – Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will:
- Be a New Zealand registered Veterinarian (Or be able to obtain registration with VCNZ)
- Hold a full New Zealand driver's licence (or be able to obtain a full NZ licence by converting a current overseas driver's licence)
- Experience as an establishment VTS is preferred, but not essential
- Have verbal and written skills, and analytical reasoning skills
- Experience of demonstrating resilience and working under pressure and managing stakeholder relationships
- Persuading and influencing, teamwork, planning and organising
- Computer literacy – can operate standard and customised software to an acceptable standard e.g. word-processing, excel, internet, email, database, secure sites, electronic certification, residues etc
It is advantageous if you have knowledge of HACCP/Quality Assurance in Food Safety however, this is included in your training.
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Membership of the NZVA or alternative
- Annual payment for the Annual practicing certificate
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
See the benefits of working at MPI
Whakamātau Whakapōauau me te Waipiro - Drug and Alcohol Screening
Please note, given this position is safety sensitive the preferred applicant/s for the position will be required to undergo a drug and alcohol pre-employment screening test. Further information on this process can be found on our careers site under the application process, on pre-employment checks page.
Kua rite koe mō tēnei mahi whaitake? - Are you ready to make a difference?
We are committed to being a good partner under Te Tiriti o Waitangi which includes working closely with iwi, hapū, whanau and hāpori.
We aspire to reflect the diverse communities we serve, so we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. As an organisation, we are committed to making Manatū Ahu Matua a great place to work for all.
In your cover letter we'd like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa; your interest and motivations for this role; the abilities, strengths, personal attributes and diverse perspectives you will bring to the role and this organisation, which may have also been gained outside of the workforce.
To view the position description and/or apply online, please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. To apply, you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it – click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online career's portal.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 26 November 2023, however suitable applicants will be considered and contacted before this date.
If you have any questions about the role, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at Louise.firstname.lastname@example.org
Whāia ngā tūhononga ki MPI i konei – Follow MPI here
Links to Facebook, MPI Careers, LinkedIn, x