Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Te tūnga | The role
We have a full-time permanent (min. 40 hour/week) position for a Senior Scientist to join our Forensic Biology laboratory, based at our Mount Albert Science Centre in Auckland.
In this role, you will be involved in:
- Working independently in service delivery, casework or research activities, with recognised ability in a specialist area, by colleagues on other ESR sites or clients.
- Writing major client reports and/or publishing in peer reviewed scientific journals and presenting work via oral presentations at conferences.
- Giving opinion evidence as an expert witness.
- Carrying out complex or novel projects, as an individual researcher, which may require the development of new techniques.
- Supervising technical staff, less experienced scientists and/or students.
Kia angitu koe | About you
To be successful in this role you will ideally have:
- A BA or BSc, its equivalent or higher with coursework papers in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and/or Genetics to the required standard (candidate transcripts will be assessed).
- An appropriate postgraduate tertiary qualification, along with significant experience as recognised by their peers and clients at a national level.
- Experience reporting of Forensic Biology casework or Biology research.
- An appreciation of sound laboratory practice including an appreciation of the importance of the development of standard operating procedures.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety practice, biological and chemical hazards.
- Computer literacy and the ability to be trained in laboratory information management systems.
Experience in the following areas would be highly desirable, but not essential:
- Previous experience within a forensic human DNA laboratory, undertaking the analysis of DNA profiles typically encountered with forensic casework.
- Experience with DNA mixture & statistical interpretation.
- Presentation of expert evidence in court.
Ngā painga | The benefits
ESR provide an excellent environment for fostering and developing our people in a values-driven, flexible and ever evolving landscape. We are leaders in our field and our laboratory facilities are second to none.
We offer diverse benefits including flexible working options that support everyone's lifestyle in balance with their work commitments. Our people gain value from other benefits such as job-related learning and development opportunities, access to employee health schemes, social events, and wellbeing initiatives. If you are from overseas and would like to learn more about living and working in New Zealand, please see here: https://www.live-work.immigration.govt.nz/
The indicative salary range is from $100,818 - $108,992, with additional benefits and international relocation assistance as applicable.
Tono mai | Apply Now
If you have any questions about the role or would like to request a full position description, please get in touch with Dorothy.Roy@esr.cri.nz.
We encourage applications from those with an understanding of or a willingness to develop their capability in Te Tiriti o Waitangi, tikanga Māori, and/or te reo Māori.
If you are looking for a chance to meaningfully contribute to the wellbeing of New Zealanders, please apply now. Applications close at 12:00am Wednesday 06 December 2023.
ESR is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to providing a working environment that embraces flexibility, diversity, and inclusion. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to New Zealand. We look forward to receiving your application.
Please note the successful applicant will be required to complete a pre-employment drug-screen and police records check as conditions of employment. On employment the successful candidate will be required to supply a DNA sample and pass a colour blind test.